There are six things which the LORD hates, Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, And hands that shed innocent blood, A heart that devises wicked plans, Feet that run rapidly to evil, A false witness who utters lies, And one who spreads strife among brothers.
You don’t normally think of God as “hating” anything. But it makes sense when you consider that the things he hates are sins and sins are opposition to him. The quote above is a neat and tidy list, so lets go through them one by one.
- Haughty eyes – Pride comes before the fall. Why? Because when you look down on someone, you are putting yourself above them. God will take care of that. “The first shall be last and the last shall be first.” Bank on it.
- A lying tongue – God is truth and therefore he is opposed to lying. Lying only serves to confuse the one being lied to and clouds the vision, thus making it harder to see the path of righteousness.
- Hands that shed innocent blood – Pretty obvious. Thou shall not kill.
- A heart that devises wicked plans – Schemers beware. Even if you don’t follow through with your plans, the Lord hates them just the same.
- Feet that run rapidly to evil – Everyone stumbles into sin from time to time. Some are just more likely to stumble because they are running towards it.
- A false witness who utters lies – Similar to #2 but more sinister. This sounds directed to someone who steers a court-type trial wrong with lies, thus punishing an innocent person. Also carries with it the greater (in God’s eyes) sin implication of misrepresenting the Gospel or completely steering people in another direction.
- One who spreads strife among others – The ultimate coward creates fights among others and stands on the sideline enjoying the show.
Bottom line: God is good and as a result he hates sin. The implication here is that there are some sins which he hates a little more than others.