My son, if you will receive my words And treasure my commandments within you, Make your ear attentive to wisdom, Incline your heart to understanding ; For if you cry for discernment, Lift your voice for understanding ; If you seek her as silver And search for her as for hidden treasures ; Then you will discern the fear of the LORD And discover the knowledge of God.
Once again, I feel led to point out that God doesn’t say “if you are smart enough” or “if you are lucky.” He says “you will …discover the knowledge of God.”
It doesn’t necessarily come easily mind you. You do have to do some “seeking” to find the treasures. That means devoting time and energy to the cause. But the promise is there that you will find it and you will be blessed by it.
He even gives us a blueprint on how to get there.
- “if you receive my words and treasure my commandments within you” – pretty straightforward – read your Bible and really take the time to understand the words
- “make your ear attentive” – pay attention during sermons – try not to let your mind wander!
- “incline your heart to understanding” – you have to want to learn – it won’t just happen
- “cry for discernment” – this is a deep, aching, longing to know God and his wisdom – if we cried out for wisdom like we cry out for unrequited love, we would be so much richer for it.
- “lift your voice” – pray! – God gives us the opportunity to communicate with him – why don’t we take advantage of that more? (I’m as guilty as the next person)
- “seek her as silver and search for her as for hidden treasures” – again, if I told you there was gold buried in your backyard, wouldn’t you immediately grab a shovel? – then why don’t we seek God’s wisdom with that same enthusiasm?
Seek! You will find.